Winter has officially come to Minnesota!! Or, I should say MinneSNOWta. It has been snowing all day today and is still coming down, totaling over a foot at our house. Ty is ecstatic! He has been waiting for snow since March and he went outside 4 times today to snowblow the driveway and sidewalk. He is in snow heaven. I spent the day inside with the fireplace on, doing laundry, cooking a pot roast and baking chocolate cupcakes while Christmas carols played on the radio. Even though I'm not a huge fan of winter and cold, it is very pretty the way it sticks to the trees and I loved having an excuse to stay warm and cozy inside. It is still snowing so I'm a little nervous about how the roads will be tomorrow getting into work.
Yesterday we had a pretty busy day. We started out taking Leah to a Santa breakfast. My friend Maggie had some families over to her house and Santa showed up! Leah was very interested in him and didn't take her eyes off him. When I set her in his lap, she did what any 13-month old would do... cry and reach for her mommy! It was pretty funny, and the crying baby with Santa is a classic picture, so I couldn't resist. Someday she'll laugh at it, I hope. Last weekend we put up our Christmas tree and decorated the house, and now it's just a matter of waiting until the big day. We're all ready!!
Last Thursday night we had a fun dinner with another SB family. They are from North Dakota and were in town for their little guy's 1-year appointment, the same appointment that Leah will have next week. She and I met through one of the SB mom's online group and have exchanged emails through facebook but hadn't met in person. It was so much fun to meet her and her husband and their little guy, Westin, who is 11 months old. He and Leah were so cute together, it's neat seeing Leah interact with other kids, and they were sharing Cheerios with each other. I think they're in love ;) They see all the same doctors we see, so it was fun to compare notes and hear how the appointment went so we know what to expect. It's also just fun to have another couple to relate to with all the stuff we go through. They are heading out to Baltimore in the spring to the Kennedy Krieger Institute, which is a world class organization for treating spinal cord injuries. It was founded on the philosophy that people with paralysis can hope for recovery of sensation, function and mobility and offers and intensive program that teaches patients how to compensate for their injuries. I had never heard of this program, so again it's great to learn when other parents are doing cool and innovative things for their kids. It's definitely something that we will look into and consider if it's the right thing for Leah.
Tomorrow (weather permitting) Leah will head back to daycare full time. Last week she had a couple 1/2 days because my mom was in town helping out. Leah only had 2 full days at school, and the teachers said she was getting kind of fussy and clingy, which isn't normal. She also was napping at very weird, random times and wasn't going to be at a usual time. I'm hoping that we're able to get back into a normal routine again. We also have another busy week coming up. Tuesday is an appointment with our Cranial-Sacral therapist, followed by Physical Therapy. We also are getting new carpeting on Tuesday in all the bedrooms, so we had to empty out the furniture and closets over the weekend. I didn't realize how much stuff we have until it's time to move it! We did get rid of an old dresser (love craigslist!) and I've been purging the closets as well. It always feels good to get organized.
And I saved the best for last. Leah is learning how to use her zip-zac!! She has been rolling around in it all weekend. Saturday morning she pushed forward a few times and then tonight she rolled all the way across the living room. It was so much fun to see her mobile. Earlier today she stared down the Christmas tree but didn't come close because it was too far away. But then by the end of the day she finally rolled over there. We have to still work on turning but she is starting to really get it. She's also doing so much better on her crawling and moving around in a circle going both directions. As with the zip-zac sometimes she thinks something is too far, but if she's enticed by something she really wants (like the computer or any other electronic device), she'll go for it. I love seeing the determined look in her eye when she wants to get somewhere. And so I can officially say that our little girl is mobile!
No comments:
Post a Comment