Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Update on SB Genetics Research

You may remember back a few months ago I asked for help with the Spina Bifida genetics research project. Thank you very much if you were able to participate, or if you tried but couldn't, or if you passed along the information to someone else.  I got the following email today from the project coordinator:

Hi Jennifer!

On Oct. 31, 2012 we reached our enrollment goals for the Spina Bifida Genetics Research Project 2 and closed enrollment in the study. Thank you so much for your participation in the Spina Bifida Genetics Research Project, your support is crucial to our research. We greatly thank everyone that spread the word about the study--especially the SB organizations. It was outreach like Facebook posts and onsite collection at Spina Bifida events that helped us reach our enrollment goals. We could not have done this research without all of your support.

Since opening enrollment in February more than 1,400 SB mothers and their affected child and 3,900 control mothers participated in the study. We now are starting the analysis phase of the study.  If we are successful in our research, participants will be updated on our discoveries. Please email info@sbgenetics.org or call 866.575.0110 with any questions about the study. To learn more about the study and genetics please visit our website http://sbgenetics.org/ and make sure to check out our educational video about the study: http://www.vpgenetix.com/sbvideo/. Please feel free to follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SpinaBifidaGenetics and Twitter @sbgenetics!

Thank you so much for giving a spit!

I can't help but notice that the project reached its enrollment goal on the very last day of October, SB Awareness Month, and that I got this email the night before our little girl's 1st birthday!  I hope this is a good sign of things to come from this project that could help Leah and all future children with Spina Bifida.  

Wait, did I just say it's the night before our little girl's 1st birthday??!!  I can't even believe that I was sitting here a year ago tonight, not knowing that my life would change just 12 hours later.  We have a little party planned for tomorrow with Leah's grandparents.  Check back for pictures of the birthday girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment