Leah and I are trying to settle into a routine now that Ty is back to work. She's normally eating every 3 hours during the day but going 5-6 hours at night, which is working out very well for us. I don't know what I was expecting, but Leah seems to be a normal newborn. Most days are spent feeding her and changing her and snuggling with her. I do check her head a lot throughout the day to make sure her soft spot is still soft, but otherwise I don't think about spina bifida much. But we did have a little moment last week when she spit up her dinner... all over me... and we both got concerned that it was a sign of shunt failure. One of the signs is vomiting, and it scared me to see that happen. But she seemed fine otherwise and it didn't seem to bother her nearly as much as it bothered us. It's just one of those things that we are more sensitive to because of her condition but it probably just normal newborn behavior.
Last week we had our regular doctor appointments - head ultrasound, followed by meeting with the neurosurgeon and then the spina bifida doctor. Everything looks great, and they told us we don't need to come back for 4-6 weeks!!! That is absolutely amazing news. Hopefully we'll stay far, far away from the hospital until February.
On a more fun note... we celebrated Leah's first Christmas! She actually slept through pretty much all of it, but she was so cute in her little outfits. I'm sure next year will be way more fun when she's old enough to open her own presents and enjoy her gifts. It was such a fun Christmas this year.
2011 was a year of highs and lows, but I think last year has also taught us a lot about love and friendship and generosity. We have been so overwhelmed by how supportive people have been. We have received gifts from people we don't even know. I know there are a lot of people out there who read this blog and who pray for us and who support us, and we continue to be amazed at the support from complete strangers. Thank you to everyone who loves and supports us, who prays for us, and who are rooting for us and our little girl.
We're looking forward to 2012, to watching Leah grow. I can't wait for her to start smiling - it should happen any day now. And then she'll start laughing and hopefully saying a few words. She's already getting bigger and looks older than she did just a few weeks ago. Here are a few recent pictures of Leah. Happy New Year!!
No comments:
Post a Comment