We have been pretty busy lately. Two weekends ago we had the annual Spina Bifida roller skating party. This was the party where last year Leah got to try out a big-girl wheelchair for the first time. What a difference a year makes! This year she was out in full force with her wheels and she also enjoyed the company of her own friends. She definitely has opinions about who she likes, what she likes and doesn't like.... and she isn't afraid to speak her mind. Thank goodness/oh my goodness! I think the girl is going to give us a run for our money. I also enjoyed this year for what it was. I'm in a much better place now than I was at the last event because this is her reality, we know it and we know how to manage it. Last year we were just at the cusp of having her in a chair and I was having a hard time picturing that this will be our life. I was also very absorbed in watching her move around, almost as if it was for the first time. She had been in her zip-zac a lot, but that night was really a turning point for her in terms of mobility. It was like the light bulb went off when she saw all the other kids with their wheels, and she realized that she can do that too. So this year was a lot more chilled out, Leah was doing her thing, I got to talk to other parents and have some fun of my own.
Speaking of the event, last year was much better attended, almost double what we got this year. There are lots of other families here in town and these events for us are always a great way to connect with each other. It has gotten me thinking about how to better market the SB events locally, how to get each other more connected, and how to get people to come in person. Anyone who has great ideas, please let me know!
We celebrated Easter last weekend with brunch, church, dinner, and Easter egg hunts. Leah had a really fun time getting an Easter basket and filling it with all kids of goodies, especially M&M's. They are her favorite! This weekend has been rainy and thunderstormy. I love it! It means that spring is here and pretty soon I'll be planting flowers and having lots of outside time. Leah absolutely loves being outside (or out-a-side, as she says), and we have had some nice walks outside. She's been liking being in my back-carrier lately, which I also enjoy to get some extra exercise. The challenge we are going to have now is that she wants to be very independent but that doesn't leave her much that she can actually do. She can roll around on our driveway and we have a few toys for her like a basketball hoop. Bubbles are a big hit too, and now we need to find enough things that will keep her entertained outside. I wonder what an obstacle course would look like in our backyard? Might be a nice thing for us to work on over the next couple weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment