Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Summertime Fun

It's finally summer!  Thank goodness because I was starting to get a little stir crazy not being able to go outside.  Leah absolutely loves being outside, whether she's sitting in her chair on the patio or rolling around on the driveway or going for a stroller ride.  Coming inside makes her shake her head NO and point back outside.  Last weekend we went to get her a water table, and her little zip-zac fits perfectly at it.  She loves sitting there, dumping water all over her lap and pushing the toys around.  We've been having fun watching her learn and explore outside.  She points to airplanes in the sky, listens to birds, watches squirrels in tree and touches the trees.  I need to figure out a way now for her to be able to roll around the grass in her chair.  She can get around the driveway but off-roading is a little more difficult.  If anyone has a brilliant idea, please let me know!

We've had some excitement already this summer.  Two weekends ago we had a pretty big storm roll through town.  Usually we are spared a lot of major damage but this storm rolled straight down our street, literally.  All of our neighbors on our street lost a tree... and not just a branch, an entire tree!  It came through very quickly on Friday evening and lasted less than an hour.  We spent much of Saturday getting out the chainsaw, cleaning up the debris and taking lots and lots of branches up to the yard waste.  We were pretty happy when our power came back on after 24 hours, especially since it was a pretty hot and muggy weekend.  

This was the tree we lost, it went right across our driveway.  We're doing some work on the house, and it fell on top of the dumpster.  Otherwise, Ty would have lost his car!


Some of the damage in the backyard.

This is the view down the street where trees toppled the power lines.  The line went across the street and our utility workers were busy getting our power back up and running.


I've also been busy working on a few pinterest-inspired projects.  Usually I just pin things but don't really do anything with them (except for a few recipes that I have tried).  My first project was to find a way to get some of Leah's artwork displayed.  She brings home a few things a week and they were starting to pile up on the counter.  We have a door between our kitchen and dining room, so I glued 2 strands of ribbon vertically over the door and then found really cute little clothespins.  Now I have a place to hang her cute works of art.  My 2nd project was to get my car organized and stocked full of things I need when I'm out and about so I don't need to lug around a diaper bag.  I got an organizer for both my and Ty's cars and stocked them with diapers/wipes, changes of clothes, hand sanitizer and sunscreen and snacks.  So far it's been nice having everything in the car, but we'll see how well we keep them filled.  Yes, those are pretty lame and I will not be venturing into a new career as a blogger! but it was fun to actually do something I've pinned.

Here is the artwork door.  I think it turned out pretty nicely!


No comments:

Post a Comment